The local mountain of Kaltern, the Mendel, can be climbed by foot, by bicycle, by car or by the longest and steepest funicular railway in Europe.
The Mendelbahn, negotiates a difference in altitude of 850m with a slope of 64% in 12 minutes.
The gorge between Altenburg and Lake Caldaro is called Rastenbachklamm. The gorge can be crossed through stairs and bridges. Hiking time is about 2 hours.
The famous mountain “Rosengarten”, in the South Tyrolean Dolomites, also offers many challenges for alpine hikers.
In winter, the surrounding ski slopes, which can be reached by car or bus, are beautiful.
In summer, the Kalterersee (the warmest bathing lake in the Alps) invites you for a refreshing swim, surf or boating.
The two Lakes of Montiggl in the neighboring village of Eppan invite you to refresh yourself with the longest water slide in South Tyrol.
Would you like to have a special experience? At the lake you can rent a stand up paddling and have some fun.
- In the center of Caldaro, young and old, tourists and locals meet. Take the time to stroll, eat, drink a coffee or just simply listen to the musical sounds of concerts in the market square.
- On The Kalterersee vacationers will find a cool refreshment while bathing, surfing or boating.
- The apple blossom in spring enchants the environment into a small white-pink paradise, saturated with the aroma of the flower scent.
- The Mendel at 1370 meters is the local mountain of Kaltern. You do not necessarily have to climb it by car or by foot. If you want you can experience the steep ride on the funicular. The Mendelbahn is the longest and steepest funicular in Europe (built 1903-1904). In 12 minutes you can reach a difference in altitude of 850m with a slope of 64%. You can reach the valley station by car in about ten minutes.
- Rastenbachklamm, the gorge between Altenburg and Kalterer See. A must for walkers. The gorge can be crossed through stairs and bridges. (Hiking time approx. 2 hours, good footwear recommended). No matter if spring, summer, autumn or winter. Kaltern is the city of four seasons.
- If you like the heights the nearby South Tyrolean Dolomites are perfect for you. The famous “Rosengarten” also offers many challenges for alpine hikers.
- Who does not know him, the "ÖTZI". In the Archeology Museum in Bozen you can admire the man from the ice.
- We are happy to provide our hiking guides with selected tours. So you can easily and quickly put together the most interesting tours for yourself.
- Castel Juval, at Naturns is the permanent home of world-famous extreme mountain climber Reinhold Messner. The castle also serves as a museum and can be visited during the summer months.
- An ideal day trip is Lake Garda, which can be reached by car in about 1.5 hours.